It is a fact that teen drivers are four times more likely to be involved in a serious West Palm Beach accident than older drivers. Part of the reason for high Florida accident rates among teens is inexperience; the other is that teens are more likely to take risks.
Palm Beach personal injury attorney David Glatthorn offers 15 easy safety tips for teen drivers.
- Always wear your seatbelt. Make sure your passengers buckle up, too. This may seem obvious, but teen drivers are far less likely than adults to wear a seatbelt. The majority of teens who die in fatal car crashes are not buckled up. Remember, seat belts are the best protection from death and serious injury in a Palm Beach car crash.
- Never allow more people to ride in your car than you have seat belts. An unbelted passenger is at high risk for injury in a Florida car accident. The passenger may also cause injury to others as she is thrown around the vehicle.
- Whiplash is the most common Florida auto accident injury. Adjusting your car's headrest so it is behind your head rather than your neck can minimize the risk of whiplash if you are ever in a Palm Beach auto wreck.
- Use the best tires you can afford. Check that your tires are inflated correctly (check your owner's manual) and replace your tires if the tread becomes worn.
- Maintain your car. Poor maintenance can lead to accidents. Know what to do if your car breaks down on the highway.
- Keep your windshield clean. At sunrise and sunset, the glare reflecting off a dirty windshield can momentarily blind a driver.
- Keep at least half a tank of gas in your car. If you drive with the gas gauge on empty, you could get stranded on the highway.
- If you park in a garage, make sure your garage door is completely open before you back out.
- Use your headlights, even in the day time. Headlights make you more visible to other drivers.
- Don't rely on your mirrors. Always turn your head to look behind you before merging or changing lanes.
If you are ever injured in a Florida car crash, Palm Beach personal injury attorney David Glatthorn is here to help. To learn more, download a free copy of The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim, or contact David Glatthorn at 888-340-2620.