Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents are not an uncommon occurrence in South Florida. Many Florida injury victims are unaware of their rights and may be eligible for compensation for their injuries. It is important that accident victims protect those rights. West Palm Beach personal injury attorney David Glatthorn has provided the list below for Florida pedestrian accident victims.
- Stay at the scene, even if your accident injuries aren't severe. The adrenaline released after an accident can mask even serious injuries. If possible, move out of danger. Don't leave until a police report has been filed and you have obtained contact information from the driver and any witnesses.
- Call the police. The police officer will fill put a police report. Tell the officer what happened, but don't admit fault for the crash. Let the officer know about any injuries.
- Take photos. While you are waiting for the police to arrive, get out your cell phone and take pictures of the scene, the car that hit you, and your injuries. If possible, get a picture of the driver and of his license plate. This could help if the driver provides false information.
- Exchange information. Get contact and insurance information from the driver of the vehicle. If there are any witnesses, get their names, phone numbers and addresses.
- See a doctor right away. Remember, adrenaline and shock can mask the signs of a serious injury. Other injuries may not show symptoms for several days. If you don't seek treatment right away, the insurance company may deny or devalue your injury claim.
- Don't sign anything. Insurance companies have only one goal: to protect their profits. They often contact victims immediately after an accident and offer a low settlement. Don't accept any money until you know the extent of your injuries.
- Don't give a statement to the insurance company. Any statement you make may be misinterpreted and may damage your claim. Do not talk to the insurance companies until you have hired a Florida personal injury lawyer.
- Hire a West Palm Beach personal injury attorney. A Florida personal injury lawyer can deal with the insurance company on your behalf and make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Learn more about the rights of West Palm Beach pedestrian accident victims in David Glatthorn's book, The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim. To contact David Glatthorn, call 888-340-2620. The initial consultation is free.