If you were injured in a car accident while vacationing in Florida, there's a good chance that you did not come on vacation fully prepared to deal with the aftermath of a car crash. However, not acting or waiting to act until you get home can cost you your settlement. This list, from Palm Beach accident lawyer can help you protect your injury claim and get the settlement you deserve.
- Call your insurance company. Report the accident to your own car insurance provider. When you call, ask for the name and number of the representative and a claim number. Write down the date and time of the call. Give only the facts and don't discuss your injuries. Anything you say can be used against you. If you have traveler's insurance, rental car insurance, or insurance through a credit card, call those companies.
- Call the car rental company to report the accident. Again, get the name and phone number of the representative and stick to the facts.
- Take pictures of your injuries. You may not want to share these memories, but the pictures will provide evidence of the severity of your injuries and the impact they have on your life.
- Keep receipts. If your accident caused you to change travel arrangements or extend your stay, you may be able to get compensation for the extra expense. Save your receipts, medical bills and any paperwork associated with the accident.
- Find a local attorney. You may be tempted to wait until you get home to hire a lawyer, but it is important that your attorney be familiar with Florida traffic and insurance law and be licensed to practice in Florida. Make sure your Palm Beach car accident attorney is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer who is licensed by the Florida State Bar.
- Request a free copy of The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim. Palm Beach accident attorney David Glatthorn wrote this book to provide all Florida accident victims with the information they need after a car crash.