Boca Raton Injury Lawyer David Glatthorn Discusses School Bus Safety
The new school year has started in Boca Raton, but last school year is still in the news. National Transportation Safety Board (NSTB) authorities are currently studying last year's St. Lucie County school bus accident in order to understand how to protect children from similar accidents in the future.
The Florida school bus accident occurred on March 26, 2012. The preliminary report states that bus driver Albert Hazen, 56, was distracted when he made a left turn into the path of a semi-truck. One child died; 16 were injured. One student was kept in a coma for three weeks because of life-threatening head injuries.
Every day, 23 million children get on school buses. Parents trust the drivers of those buses to bring their children safely home again. In general, that trust is well placed. School buses are one the safest forms of transportations. Yet school bus accidents do happen.
Everyone, drivers, parents and children can prevent Florida school bus crashes. Get a safe start to the school year and discuss school bus safety with your child. Here are some bus safety tips for children from Boca Raton accident attorney David Glatthorn:
- It is more important to be safe than to catch the bus.
- Try to arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the bus.
- While waiting for the bus, stand six feet or more away from the curb.
- Stay six feet from the curb when lining up for the bus.
- Don't leave the line until the bus stops, the door opens, and the driver says it is okay to board the bus.
- Let the driver know if you have to cross the street. Cross at least ten feet in front of the bus.
- Use the handrails when boarding or exiting.
- Let the driver know immediately if your clothing or backpack gets caught when you are exiting the bus.
- Never run or walk behind a school bus.
- If you drop something near the bus, let the bus driver know. Don't pick it up until the driver says it is okay.
If your child is injured in a Boca Raton bus accident, don't hesitate to call Boca Raton injury lawyer David Glatthorn at 866-413-5525. Schedule a free consultation to learn about your rights.