When Air Bags Cause Eye Injuries in Boca Raton Car Accidents
There are many ways an eye can be injured during a Boca Raton car accident. Broken glass and loose objects may hit the eye. What might surprise you is that many Florida car crash eye injuries are caused by airbags.
Airbags can cause many types of eye injuries. Some injuries are temporary and heal quickly. Others are permanent and result in partial or total blindness.
Why Do Airbag Eye Injuries Happen?
Airbags are designed to protect the average 5'9", 165 pound male driver who is wearing a seatbelt. Airbags are very good at protecting the typical male driver. In fact, since the 1970s airbags have reduced overall car accident injuries and fatalities by about 32 percent. However, about five percent of airbag deployments result in eye injuries. The greatest risk is to women and children, especially those who are shorter than 5'9".
Types of Airbag Eye Injuries
- Chemical burns: In order for an airbag to deploy, a chemical reaction must take place. Sometimes these chemicals vent through the airbag. This can cause burns to the eye.
- Particles in the eye: When an airbag deploys, a powdery substance flies out of the airbag compartment. This powder (corn starch, talc, or chalk) is used to keep the airbag from sticking. However, sometimes these high speed particles get in the eye of the person the airbag is supposed to protect.
- Blow to the eye: Air bags can deploy at 200 miles per hour. If the airbag hits the eye while deploying, the eye can sustain serious injuries.
What Can You Do to Protect Your Eyes?
- Children should always sit in the back seat of the car. This reduces the chances of an airbag eye injury.
- If you are short, adjust your seat to the highest comfortable position.
- Sit as far away from the steering wheel as possible.
If you suffer an airbag eye injury in a Boca Raton car crash, you may be able to claim damages from the at-fault driver and from the manufacturer of your vehicle. To learn more, request a free copy ofThe Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim. Or contact Boca Raton accident attorney David Glatthorn at 561-659-1999 and ask to schedule a free consultation.