What’s In Your Wallet? A Palm Beach Accident Attorney Discusses Emergency Medical Information
Most people believe it is important to be prepared for an emergency; yet nine out of ten Americans do not carry emergency information in their wallets or cell phones. Without emergency information, there may be delays informing your family or getting proper medical treatment if you are ever injured in a West Palm Beach car accident.
Car accidents are the leading cause of injury and death. They can happen at any time. Keeping your emergency information with you ensures that first responders and doctors have the information they need to treat your injuries.
What information should you carry? Palm Beach accident attorney David Glatthorn suggests that you include the following information:
- Your name, age, and gender.
- Your address and home phone number.
- The name of an emergency contact. Make sure the emergency contact has your emergency information.
- All medications, including prescription and over-the-counter. This is very important. Some medications may affect your treatment.
- Any medication allergies.
- Any other allergies, sensitivities, or restrictions.
- All medical conditions, including diabetes, epilepsy, heart conditions, other chronic illnesses, and pregnancy. Include any relevant health history, past surgeries, and list any transplants, implants, pacemakers or other medical devices.
- The name and phone number of your primary care doctor.
- Immunization history.
Keep a business-card printout of this information in your wallet or purse. Or, if you have a lot of information, print it on a regular sheet of paper and fold it to fit. Make sure it is clearly labeled, so an emergency responder can easily find it if needed.
You should also add your emergency contact information to your cell phone. Store the phone number of your contact under the initials "ICE" (In Case of Emergency).
If you have a serious allergy or medical condition, you may want to invest in an emergency alert bracelet. Ask your doctor to recommend a reputable company.
David Glatthorn is an accident attorney in West Palm Beach and the author of The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim. To receive your free copy, follow the link on the side of this page or contact David Glatthorn at 866-413-5525.