The Scary Facts About Florida Teen Halloween Drunk Driving Accidents
For young children, Halloween is about dressing up and going trick-or-treating. For teens, Halloween is an excuse to party and perhaps even indulge in alcohol. If you add motor vehicles to the mix, it's a recipe for a Halloween tragedy.
The National Highway Transportation Administration is sponsoring Halloween Impaired Driving Prevention from October 25 through November 4, 2012. In order to reduce Boca Raton DUI accidents, law enforcement officers will be reminding the public that "buzzed driving is drunk driving." This year, the campaign is targeting teens.
Florida teens cannot legally purchase alcohol, but there is no shortage of underage drivers who drive drunk. In 2010, 245 teens were arrested for impaired driving. Sixty-nine teens were killed in Florida alcohol-related crashes. Teens obtain alcohol from parents, older siblings, and friends, or they ask an adult to purchase it for them. It is important that parents be aware of their teens' drinking habits and discuss the dangers of drunk driving with their children.
Two-thirds of all Florida highway fatalities at Halloween are alcohol-related. Before your teen attends a Halloween party, remind him or her:
- Do not drink and drive.
- Driving drunk is not worth the risks.
- Drive extra carefully and watch for trick-or-treaters.
- If there will be alcohol at a party, have a designated driver.
- If you have had any alcohol, do not get behind the wheel. Call a family member to pick you up.
- If a friend is about to drive drunk, take his or her keys away. Help that person find a safe ride home.
- If you see a driver who seems drunk on the road, get out of the way and call the police immediately.
If you or a loved one was injured in a Boca Raton drunk driving crash because someone irresponsibly chose to get behind the wheel while drunk, please contact Boca Raton car accident attorney David Glatthorn at 866-413-5525 to schedule a free consultation.
David is the author of The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim. Request your free copy from this website.