Eight Steps After a West Palm Beach Hit and Run
Last year, there were 3,381 hit-and-run accidents in Palm Beach County. What should you do if you are ever the victim of a Florida hit-and-run crash? West Palm Beach accident attorney David Glatthorn offers this advice:
- Stay at the scene of the accident. Do not try to chase down the other driver. He may be dangerous. Many hit-and-run drivers are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Instead, write down the license plate number, vehicle color, make and model, and anything else you can remember about the car and the driver.
- Call 911 and report the accident. Let the dispatcher know that the other driver has left the scene. The dispatcher will send an officer to the scene. Wait for the officer to arrive.
- Gather as much information as you can at the accident scene. Take pictures of any damage and get the names and numbers of any witnesses.
- Ask the officer at the scene how you can get a copy of the police report. You will need this when you file your insurance claim.
- Get treatment for your injuries. Go to the emergency room. Let your doctor know you have been in an accident. He will screen you for hidden injuries and tell you the warning signs that you should watch for. Go to any follow-up appointments.
- Document your injuries. Get copies of your medical records and take pictures of your injuries. This will help ensure that you get full medical coverage.
- Contact your insurance agent. Let the agent know that the accident was a hit-and-run. Since Florida is a no-fault state, the first $10,000 of medical bills will be covered by your personal injury protection policy. Any additional damages will come from your Uninsured Motorist (UMI) coverage. Your UMI policy may also cover lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Contact a West Palm Beach accident lawyer. If your insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, you may want the assistance of a Florida personal injury lawyer. To schedule a free consultation, contact David Glatthorn at 866-413-5525.
Confused about your rights after a West Palm Beach car crash? Request a free copy of David Glatthorn's book, The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim.