Trick-or-treat! Halloween is almost here. The children are excited. They are planning their costumes and trick-or-treating routes and are looking forward to the one night when it's perfectly acceptable to demand candy from adults.
Unfortunately, Halloween can quickly turn from a night of fun into a night of horror. On October 31, the number of pedestrian accident deaths among children age five to 14 is four times higher than average. On Halloween, parents and drivers need to work together to prevent Boca Raton pedestrian crashes.
Pedestrian accidents involving children are most likely to occur between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. - prime trick-or-treating time.
Drivers can do their part to prevent Boca Raton pedestrian injuries and keep trick-or-treaters safe by following these Halloween driving tips from Boca Raton accident attorney David Glatthorn.
- Don't drink and drive.
- Pay attention while driving, especially on Halloween. Don't use a cell phone while driving, especially in neighborhoods where kids trick-or-treat.
- Use your lights.
- Drive slowly. Stay well below the posted speed limit.
- Watch for children crossing the street. Remember children may not always cross at intersections. In fact, 84% of child pedestrian deaths occur at non-intersection locations.
- Look for children on sidewalks and roadways. Keep an eye out for children darting across streets, especially where there are parked cars.
- Always yield to children.
- Never assume that children are paying attention to traffic. It's a good bet that children are much more interested in what is in their trick-or-treat bags than what is on the road. Don't assume that a child sees your car.
- Be extra vigilant when pulling in and out of driveways.
- Do not pass cars that have stopped. Drivers may be dropping off children.
- If you are driving a group of children, keep your hazard lights on while you drop them off.
- Don't wear a mask while driving.
Boca Raton personal injury lawyer David Glatthorn is the author of The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Boca Raton car accident, contact David Glatthorn at 866-413-5525. The initial consultation is free.