Personal Injury Lawyer West Palm Beach & South Florida

Can I file a personal injury claim on behalf of a loved one?

West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer

Receiving the news that a loved one has been seriously injured can be heart-wrenching. A loved one or close relative may be injured in a crash, workplace accident, slip and fall, or from a dog bite, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse or neglect, or a violent encounter. This may leave you uncertain about what to do and how to hold responsible parties accountable.

If a family member or one of your loved ones ends up seriously injured, they may not always be able to take the appropriate course of legal action. In addition, your loved one's health may be jeopardized long-term.

What factors apply when filing a personal injury claim on behalf of a loved one?

These are the factors that apply:

  • The crash victim is a minor. A person can't legally file a personal injury claim until he or she is at least 18 years old.
  • The crash victim suffers a disability such as:
    • Cognitive or mental impairment as a result of a head injury
    • Permanent or long term disability as a result of the crash

Serious disabilities may derive from:

  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Spinal injuries
  • Paralysis
  • Amputations

If this is the case, it's critical that you explore your legal options and find out how you can take legal action on his or her behalf. You can start by consulting with a West Palm Beach attorney who can help you file a personal injury claim.

How to get started

Filing a personal injury claim on behalf of a loved one isn't an easy process. You'll first need to prove that you can serve as a guardian to your loved one. Guardianship is automatically granted to parents of children.

If you're not biologically related to the person you plan on filing a claim for (such as a spouse or partner), and you haven't been appointed as a power of attorney or medical proxy, then you will need to petition for guardianship in court. Your guardianship may continue until the individual has fully recovered from his or her injuries.

How can an attorney help me with my claim?

Before you get started, it's critical that you first speak to an attorney atĀ David J. Glatthorn, P.A. Attorney Glatthorn has helped injured people and their families get the compensation they need for more than 25 years.

He'll take an inclusive approach to your claim, place an accurate value on the damages, and negotiate with insurance companies for a fair settlement. Contact us online to schedule your free case review, or callĀ 800-990-9394.

Category: Posts

Since 1980, Attorney David Glatthorn has been serving the residents of West Palm Beach. He works in many areas of personal injury law, including car accidents, slip and fall injuries, workplace injuries and many others. Attorney Glatthorn is known for his dedication and experience. If you were injured due to another person's negligence, call David Glatthorn Law today.

David J. Glatthorn, P.A.
Million Dollar Advocates ForumMartindale-Hubbell Preeminent Top Attorney Personal InjurySuper LawyersNOLOBest Law Firms 2014
Best Lawyers 2022
Best Lawyers 2021
Best Lawyers 2019
Best Lawyers 2018
Best Lawyers 2017
Top 100 US VerdictsBest Law Firms 2020Best Law Firms 2019Best Law Firms 2018Lawyer.com