In the United States, car accidents are the leading cause of death among children of all ages. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a properly installed and fitted safety seat can reduce the risk of car accident death in a Boca Raton car crash by as much as 71 percent. Yet nearly 72 percent of all car seats are not used properly. How do you know that your child is safely buckled up in a properly attached seat?
September 17 through 22 is Child Passenger Safety Week in Florida. During this week and on Seat Check Saturday (September 22), parents can visit a local child car seat inspection station to have their seat inspected and properly installed at no charge.
Locations in and around Palm Beach County, include:
- Boynton Beach Fire Rescue: Call 561-742-6343 and leave a message.
- Palm Beach County Fire Rescue: Call 561-616-7033 to schedule an appointment at a location near you. If you are in Boca Raton, call 561-347-3931.
- Port St. Lucie Police Department: Call 772-878-5879 for an appointment.
When you go to your appointment, you will need to bring your child, the car seat, and the following information:
- Your child's age, height, and weight
- Make, model, and year of your vehicle
- If available, the user manuals for both your vehicle and the car seat.
Are you worried that you need a new car seat but can't one? The Safety Council of Palm Beach County, Inc., offers free car seats to families in need. You must have an appointment. For more information contact the Safety Council at 561-845-8233 x12.
A properly installed car seat is the best way to protect your child from death and serious injury in a Boca Raton accident. However, even a good car seat can't prevent every injury. To learn what to do if your child is injured in a Florida car crash, request a free copy of The Florida Accident Workbook: Tools, Tips & Tactics to Resolve Your Injury Claim or contact Boca Raton accident attorney David Glatthorn at 866-413-5525.